Wednesday, April 18, 2012

The Porky Affair: Fried Nam Yee Pork


This post is definitely shocking to those who knows me well. This is my first entry on pork dish, and I think there’ll be more to this!! Ya, you heard me right....P.O.R.K.

My bf JW is one big pork lover. Hmm, or I should say almost all Klang Chinese..*thanks to their “irresistable” Klang Bak Kut Teh*. At times, he would have severe pork cravings..and bug me to join him for some pork dishes. On the contrary, I am not a porky person and hardly consume pork until I met JW...I guess that’s my biggest compromise in the reationship thus far..

There is a saying; the way to a man’s heart is through his stomach. So one way to impress and cheer my man from a long, dull day at work is to cook him his favourite dish..i.e., pork. JW is ever so elated...like a small kid given candy treats...whenever he sees pork on the dining table.

Below is my best pork recipe so far, created accidentally without too much expectation of a great result. This recipe was born out of the need to utilise some leftover pork cutlet and fermented red bean curd (nam yee).

The flavour goes very well; tender and tangy meat with lasting crispiness outside (the crisps last even after 2 hours). I made this dish for my parents few days back (third attempt then), and mum gave thumbs up!

Fried Nam Yee Pork
(Yield: 3-4 servings)

Ingredients:
  • 300g pork strips/cutlets (tenderloin cut)
  • 2 cup corn flour
  • 1 egg (beaten)
Marinade:
  • 2 pieces fermented red bean curd (Nam Yee) with some sauce
  • 1 tablespoon garlic (finely minced) 
  • 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
  • 1/2 teaspoon dark soy sauce
  • 1/2 teaspoon light soya sauce
  • 1 teaspoon oyster sauce
  • 1 teaspoon 5-spice powder
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 2 tablespoon Chinese wine
  • 2 teaspoon corn flour
  • a dash of white pepper
Directions:
  1. Mash the bean curd, and add into the pork together with the remaining ingredients for the marinade. Mix well and leave it in the refrigerator (top most column of the refrigerator) for at least a day. 
  2. Dip the marinated pork strips/cutlets in the beaten egg and coat them evenly with corn flour. Deep fry until golden brown.


XOXO, 
Carmen

1 comment: